Second Heatwave in France Kills 14,713 People During July
Paris, August 19 (QNA) - France recorded 1,243 deaths above expected levels during the second heatwave that affected the country between Jul. 3 and 22, bringing the provisional total number of excess deaths recorded during heatwaves this year to 7,307.
In a statement today, the French public health agency said 14,713 deaths were recorded during the second heatwave, compared with 13,470 deaths that had been expected, representing an increase of 9.2 percent.
It said around three-quarters of the excess deaths involved people aged 75 and over, while increased mortality was observed across all age groups from the age of 45.
The toll from the second heatwave comes in addition to 5,764 excess deaths recorded between Jun. 17 and Jul. 2, and around 300 excess deaths during the first heatwave between May 24 and 28, bringing the provisional total number of excess deaths during periods of extreme heat in France this year to 7,307.
France's national meteorological service said July was the hottest ever recorded in France since records began and was also among the driest months on record. The country has experienced four periods of extreme heat since the end of May, including a historically severe heatwave in late June.
The historic heatwave that struck France in 2003 resulted in around 15,000 deaths, making it one of the deadliest heatwaves in the country's history. (QNA)
English
Français
Deutsch
Español
русский
हिंदी
اردو