Dutch Government Backs Ban on Goods from Israeli Settlements
The Hague, May 22 (QNA) - The Dutch government has approved a decision to ban imports of goods produced in Israeli settlements built on occupied Palestinian territories, saying the move is intended to prevent Dutch economic activity from contributing to what it described as an illegal occupation.
Prime Minister Rob Jetten said the measure aimed to stop "any contribution to the illegal occupation through Dutch economic activities".
Dutch Foreign Trade and Development Minister Sjoerd Sjoerdsma said Israeli settlements were illegal under international law and United Nations resolutions, adding that the Netherlands did not wish to support the continuation of what he called an unlawful situation.
The Dutch government also said earlier on Friday that it considered Israel's occupation of Palestinian territories and the Syrian Golan Heights to be illegal, expressing concern over expanding settlements and settler violence.
The Netherlands is among the world's largest importers of Israeli goods, although the government has not disclosed the current volume of imports originating from settlements.
Israeli settlements in territories occupied since 1967 are widely regarded as illegal under international law. (QNA)
English
Français
Deutsch
Español
русский
हिंदी
اردو