WHO Warns of Challenges as Efforts to Contain Ebola Intensify
Geneva, August 18 (QNA) - The World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday that the Ebola outbreak can be contained if the necessary resources are available, despite signs that the situation is worsening.
The WHO said efforts to contain the outbreak are accelerating, with 400 beds added over the past two weeks and more epidemiologists to be deployed to trace contacts.
The organization said Ebola could be contained within three months if sufficient resources are secured. So far, around 60 percent of the USD 115 million required to respond to the outbreak has been raised.
Other challenges include delayed case detection, exhausted response teams, armed conflict, and shortages of vaccines and treatments for the rare Bundibugyo strain.
The WHO's Emergency Committee is meeting today to discuss the outbreak and will decide whether to extend the public health emergency of international concern. (QNA)
English
Français
Deutsch
Español
русский
हिंदी
اردو