UN Allocates $60m to Combat Ebola Outbreak in DR Congo
Geneva, May 22 (QNA) - The United Nations has allocated nearly $60 million from its emergency fund to support efforts to contain the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, while deploying additional field staff to assist the response.
UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher said aid teams are operating in difficult conditions marked by armed conflict and population movement.
Health experts believe the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which has no approved vaccine, spread undetected for nearly two months in Ituri province before being discovered last week.
The outbreak has so far resulted in 160 deaths among 670 suspected cases.
The World Health Organization said the outbreak risk remains high nationally and regionally, but low globally, adding that the situation does not currently qualify as a public health emergency of international concern. (QNA)
English
Français
Deutsch
Español
русский
हिंदी
اردو